1.22.2008

Blog for Choice 2008!

I have abandoned this blog for no good reason recently, but I know that today's message is necessary to be posting for...

I am one of the few and lucky women who has never come to the crossroads in life, my life that is, where I have had to decide to go forward with my life as planned or bring a new life into this world. That being said, I thank the higher ones everyday for the availability of choices wherever I have lived. I take for granted that I have always lived in a State where access to abortion is safe and available. Since arriving in London a few weeks ago, I have been engaged in numerous discussions in class and otherwise about the availability of abortion facilities, and more importantly, the idea of abortion as a "right." Is it or isn't it? I believe it is, more than a just right to the procedure though. The right to a choice in the matter is a right to freedom for women. As an Irish descendant I find myself scared and sad to death at the reality that written into the Irish Constitution is a right to life, not a right for women to make the choice what to do with their own bodies.
I am thankful to be an American on this day, more than any others, as Roe v. Wade has symbolically and realistically changed the situation of American women in ways that cannot be measured. Here's to 35 years of freedom. Love to you all.

No comments: